Sunday, October 17, 2010

What's a Road Trip Without the Police Invited?

We planned to take the family to the Texas State Fair this past weekend, it's something that Billy's family did when he grew up and he wanted to share it with his kids. We had a great day on Friday, we spent the entire day there and I was happily surprised at how well Simon and Emi did. We took the jogging stroller and then I bought these....
Yes, I am that kind of mom. And those leashes were fantastic! They look like backpacks, the animal tail is the part you hang onto and the babies loved being able to roam. $10 at Walmart and totally worth it on a trip like this. We did it all, the rides...
The food.... fried chocolate, candy apples....


We really just had a great time together and I hope made some awesome memories for the kids.... Then it was time to pack it up and head to the hotel... 2 exits away and pitch dark outside, we hit something and the tire blew. We're sitting on the overpass on a Friday night with 5 kids waiting on a tow. Billy got worried about our safety, so he called the Dallas PD and that's where we added to the memories. :)

That's our back window, the cops gave us quite a procession at 10 mph off the highway and into a parking lot where the kids got sticker badges, we waited for the tow truck, some kids had to find a tree, and we took pictures with our rescue team.

They were great, they were great with the kids, and the concierge from the Marriott came in the Security SUV and drove the kids and I to the hotel so I could get the short stacks ready for bed. I felt bad that we had this big bump in plans, but as I listened to the big kids on the way to the hotel, I realized that they were talking nonstop about the whole trip. I mean ALL of it. They thought every bit of it was great. And so as I got everybody settled and Billy got back to the room, we finished the night off with "Suburban Commando" with Hulk Hogan, circa 1991. I have no idea what this movie is, but it was the last thing I watched Friday night and we laughed hysterically. I'm pretty sure it was the exhaustion from the day, but I want to share the Hulk....

What'cha gonna do brother when Hulkamania runs wild on you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment