Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Facebook Moral Dilemma--What To Do When Distant Family Friend Requests You...

Ugh...  I love Facebook, I really do.  I enjoy keeping up with friends I made in Connecticut, reconnecting with high school friends and acquaintances (and being nosy with high school people you weren't so close with--don't judge!)  and posting an insane amount of pictures of my kiddos.  But something about Facebook puts me in a little dilemma.  What do you do when a family member, a distant one, finds you on FB?  My aunt asked me a few weeks ago if I was on FB.  I was just tickled that she was! I mean, I love to hear that 70 year olds are hip to the internets!  So she found me, it's all good even though we aren't close and see each other rarely.  Then another aunt sees me as a friend of the first aunt.  Friend requests me.  Now I haven't seen this aunt, maybe since my wedding 13 years ago?!  But they're FAMILY, you can't say no. And honestly I have no reason to.  Nothing I put on FB is scandalous or private, I'm not a fool.  Aunt #2 quickly starts posting on my pics, comments on my postings, apparently she is the Facebook fan too.  But now my moral dilemma...  I have several cousins, kids of these women.  I haven't seen them in at least 10 years, if not more.  But they see me on their mom's lists, they comment on the same posts.  Am I supposed to friend requests them?  Am I rude not to?  Are they not interested in me, hence no request from them OR are they offended right now, am I type, because I haven't requested them?!?! See what I mean?  What do I do?  My fab husband, when I told him my moral dilemma last night (let me preface by saying he is not really a people person) says, "look, delete them all and move on".  Yep, tons of help...  So here I am with no progress..... 

And you know what else?  There are a few people on there that I'd like to delete....  You know I totally can't do that either....  Pox on your house Facebook!!! (but I love you anyway....)

No comments:

Post a Comment