Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday, Sunday.... And there are never too many pies....

So I have been tossing the idea of adding to my desserts for Thanksgiving, and today I put it to my Facebook friends on which to add.  (I am so decisive on my own, aren't I??)  Between pecan pie and Bobby Flay's pumpkin bread pudding with vanilla creme, I figured I'd get my answer....   So I will be making both! :)  I thought I would get a resounding vote and since it wasn't, I felt that the way to go was both. So those close to me that will be sharing Thanksgiving at my house must come prepared with elastic waistbands and large to go containers.  Partially, I blame Pioneer Woman's blog, I really should steer clear of that site.  Everything looks delicious and she just makes me want to take a stab at her recipes.  So I made my decision and quickly informed Billy that I knew I was going overboard and he was to remain silent.  Thanksgiving is supposed to be excessive, right??  This is also our first Thanksgiving where we are inviting friends and two soldiers from Fort Sam to come and spend the day with us.  In the past we have kept it rather small (well as small as a family of 7 can make it) with just my parents, but since my mom is now in a nursing care facility and unable to travel, my dad will be the lone family member coming.  It's an adjustment, but I really think it will be a great one.  I want our kids to recognize the importance of being in a home that welcomes young soldiers that cannot get home for the holidays and also learn to make holidays that include people that you enjoy being around and so the holiday doesn't feel like a dreaded family drama.  Now it is all set to go provided I keep it all gluten free and don't accidentally poison myself.  Our friends are bringing the turkey, they're frying it and I am excited to try it.

And then before I can blink we will be knee deep in the holidays.  I love Christmas, I really do, but the one sad thing for me is that somehow during the season, I remember back to our first Christmas with kids, and look to today and see how quickly my babies are growing up into young adults. It goes by so fast and I know how much I will miss them.  But we will have tamale time,  Christmas lights on the Riverwalk, the short stacks will go see Santa Claus.... We will be busy... And I am done with all my Christmas shopping for the kids already. :D The crowds are too much for me and I don't like to rush.  So now I just have Billy's stuff and teacher gifts.  Go me....

So now begins the 2010 holiday season, I hope yours is a good one....

No comments:

Post a Comment