Wednesday, May 18, 2011

And So We Start Preparing For The Summer Birthday Season...

Every year, soon after Mother's Day, I find myself gearing up for a long haul of birthdays. June hits us with Father's Day, Billy's birthday a week later and then the older boys in July. Honestly, it's partly my fault, I tend to want the whole thing organized before school lets out so I have time to shop alone and be ahead of the game. We also actually have the boys' party in June, with a midsummer birthday sometimes attendance is rough because people are either on vacation, or hard to track down. So we give out invites the last week of school and have the party in June. The rest of summer birthdays speed by with my dad's, mine (which this year I will be draped in black), and then we prep to start school while I mentally plan Olivia's September party. (see, I totally do it to myself, I know...) I do get a month off before the shorties turn 3, but we were thinking of a Halloween birthday party, so maybe not. They're three, I'll try not to go overboard...

I tend to go all out. I want them to remember great parties. This year they are actually winding down, the boys will be eleven and they're being too cool for mom. This year they agreed (no small feat in itself) to a slumber party. I don't know how Billy and I are going to have 6 boys over and still have toddlers sleep is beyond me, but we're going to give it a shot. We'll have them over around 6ish, I'm renting a water slide and then when it gets dark enough, we'll watch a movie projected on the back wall of the house. But because of how I can get, I was thinking of adding an ice cream sundae buffet. :) Here's to hoping they at least sleep a little bit....

I do it to myself, but I really like their birthdays. I hate that they are getting older, but I love to watch them enjoy their day. And honestly, I have it easy for 5 kids. I only have 3 parties. I mean, I'm practically cheating... But it feels like we have 5 months of either prep or parties and then we slide into the Fall holidays. Our slow time is January to June. I have no idea how families of 9 or 10 do it. I guess they double up???

No comments:

Post a Comment